Capacity building of the State Road Police is stipulated in the ToR. The basic assessment of the State Road Police has indicated that there is a need of capacity building and improvement.
The Draft Technical Report1 (TR 1) includes the basic theoretical issues regarding traffic enforcement to use as background material to the professional capacity building program for State Road Police. The topics presented in the report are based on international experiences, knowledge and best practises. Chapter 3 in this report will be used during the Management Course for High-ranked State Road Police officers.
The report also contents: Development of the draft training program including the Workshop, the Leadership course, the Trainers/Instructors course and Police officers course.
The program will be finalized and presented in the Technical Report 2 (TR 2) on training needs.
- The draft proposal on equipment needs.
The program on equipment needs will be finalized and presented in the Technical Report 3 (TR 3). The Draft TR 2 and TR 3 will be finalized by the end of December 2010. The ARSP will carry out some baseline studies to be used as a background for planned surveillance actions on the use of seat belts and over speeding. The State Road Police will carry out these baseline studies from year 2011. The systematic approach of the baseline studies will be discussed and planned during the Management course for high-ranked Police officers.
Performance indicators should be developed by the Consultant as soon as requested information from the State Road Police is available, see Appendix 1.1 to 1.3. The development of Technical Report 2 on Training needs and the Technical Report 3 are based on presented international knowledge and experiences and the proposals in this report. The Technical Report 2 and 3 will also be based on information requested from the State Road Police. However, the requested information from the State Road Police is not yet available for the Consultant which could delay the finalization and distribution of these two reports. There is a lack of available information to the Consultant depending of the nature of the State Road Police as a police organization. The State Road Police have some security limitation to confide the Consultant with requested information on activities, resources and results. During the proposed Workshop and the Management course for high-ranked Police officers it is a good opportunity for the Consultant to learn more about the State Road Police Traffic Safety Work, management policy, activities, resources and results. After the delivery of the Workshop and Management course the proposed Capacity building program would be reviewed and if necessary revised regarding some issues.
The Draft Capacity Building Program for the State Road Police would be based on the following:
- The Traffic Law Enforcement chain, legislation-enforcement-sanction, should be analyzed by the State Road Police, from a road safety point of view. When needed, changes in the legislation should be initiated effectively to increase road safety and decrease traffic accidents by developing the traffic legislation. Especially the level of fine should be benchmarked with respect to different road traffic violation and on available information of causes to traffic accidents. Countries with developed road traffic legislation based on the road safety focus should also be benchmarked.
- The State Road Police is one of the road safety stakeholders in Azerbaijan. The traffic enforcement activities are parts of the national road safety work which also should be based, among others, on information from the road traffic crash data base. The traffic enforcement activities should be data-led. On-line access to the information in the traffic crash database is important for all stakeholders.
- The traffic enforcement strategy should emphasize that the enforcement should be carried out with a strengthened general deterrence approach targeting high risk behavior such as over speeding and non use of seat belts. The enforcement should be data-led and also focus on dangerous reckless driving, drink-and drug driving and commercial traffic violations. The enforcement of traffic flows should be analyzed on monthly basis and, when possible, minimized.
- The State Road Police Vision/Strategy would be revised and coordinated with the National Road Safety Strategy.
- The training courses would focus on modern road policing; which mean visible and active police officers, modern hands-on and automatic equipment, mobile and stationary deterrence traffic enforcement activities, professional management supported by a Traffic Enforcement Management Data System. The proposed courses in the ToR are well selected as a starting point for capacity building of the State Road Police.
The equipment needs to carry out the enforcement strategy in the first phase are both hands-on and more advance automatic equipment for speed enforcement, equipment for drink- and drug driving enforcement, GPS equipment for location of traffic accident sites needed for the crash data system and a modern Traffic Enforcement Management Data System for Data-led enforcement. Especially an ATC System for speed enforcement, based on stationary and mobile cameras along the road net work, should be developed.
|Agreements Country fiches e-Library of documents Transport Indicators Projects Road Safety|