Ukraine is one of the biggest markets in Eastern Europe and one of advanced economies in TRACECA region. It borders:
- by land with Belarus, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia and Slovakia;
- by sea Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russia and Turkey.
Owing to its geographical location, Ukraine benefits from the passage of a number of international transport corridors through its territory:
- 6 OSJD corridors (No3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10) – rail
- Transport Corridor Europe - Caucasus - Asia (TRACECA) – multimodal
- TEN-T central transport axis – 3 rail and 4 road routes.
Ukrainian transport network covers 21,700 km of railways, 169,500 km of roads and 2,200 km of inland waterways. Also the network includes 18 sea and 10 river ports. The existing capacity enables the handling of 1 bn tonnes of cargo by rail and 160 M tonnes through sea ports. Yet, this capacity is utilized at about 50% only. Among the problems identified in this connection are:
- for road transport: the insufficient availability of roads in good technical conditions, generating sub-standard speeds and long transit-times;
- for rail transport: an obsolete rolling stock and frequent shortages of suitable rail cars in sufficient quantity due to inappropriate use / delayed, untimely return by users;
- at sea ports: the limited capacity of access roads and rail tracks, slow renewal of port infrastructure, low container turnover due to excessively long transit formalities
World trade and logistics performance indicators
In 2012, Ukraine was ranked 86th out of 132 countries in the Enabling Trade Index developed by the World Economic Forum (average score of 3.8/7). It occupied, in particular, the 26th position for access to market, the 116th position for border administration, the 64th position for transport and communications infrastructure and the 103rd position for business environment. In the World Bank logistics performance index of 2012, Ukraine was ranked 66th, compared to 102nd in 2010.
Ukraine Country Fiches:
|Agreements Country fiches e-Library of documents Projects Road Safety Transport Indicators|