4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2011 12:25 PM by wbJacob_Opadeyi RSS

Data Management Workshop: Next Step

wbJacob_Opadeyi C4D Explorer

At our just concluded workshop in Grenada, we agreed on the following activities as next step actions:

1. GeoNode Regional Triaining of Trainers
      2. National GeoNode Installation and user training
      3. Data management workshop for policy makers
      4. Data managment capacity assessment in each country
      5. Pyton/Java training
      6. Transforming data from one map projection/map datum to another

Which of these should we undertake before the end of the year?

Please share your views

• Re: Data Management Workshop: Next Step
          C4D Enthusiast

Dear Jacob, I think it is imperative that we look at the transformation issue as it has a direct bearing on the other activities.  We cannot upload the existing data into geonode unless we have the data corrected and transformed to WGS84.  We have already begun number 4 in Saint Lucia. 

We are also looking at adding some additional CORS stations and doing an assessment of and rectification of the transformation parameters for the existing stations.

We have also began the task of conducting business process modeling for the Ministry of Physical Development and The Environment who are mandated to create mapsets for the county and will be overseeing the implementation of a nation GIS working group.  This task involves modeling the data flow for all activities within the ministry (from an internal and external perspective) and using the BPML tool to highlight bottleneck, redundancies and inefficiencies in the various processes being undertaken.

This is an exciting time and I feel that we are making progress in the right direction.  Keep up the good work guys.

Jim

C4D Enthusiast

Thanks Jacob,

I can see that you have been able to describe simply and clearly our main activities for next year, although one very important activity that was agreed on during the workshop is missing, I have included as the activity 7.

For the rest of this year I think we should focus on
            1) GeoNode Regional Training of Trainers

For early next year we should be in conditions to
            2) Install the National GeoNode and Trainers will begin training geonode users.

During the 2nd quarter of 2012
            4) Data management capacity assessment in each country.
            7) Regional GIS Data standards and Regional GeoNodes workshop (GIS/ IT Professional, and Technicians)
            6) Python / Java training (GIS/IT professionals and Technicians).

During 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2012
            3) Data management workshop for policy makers (PS, Directors, policy makers level) We will need some time to organize this workshop and good coordination between islands; generally policy makers have very tight schedules.

Note:
            Activity 6) Transforming data (re-projecting data and datum conversion) for GIS professional can be given during GeoNodes Regional Training of Trainers 1), or 5)
            This is a simple process that should not take much time to explain once that the correct datum shift have been calculated; the local Land Survey office should be in conditions to calculate BWI grid datum shift parameters to WGS84.

C4D Explorer

At the October 6-7, 2011 meeting in Grenada, it was noted that most of the GIS users present
              have not been able to meet the subscription or license fees required for the use of their selected software,
              thus they are encouraged to use open source software to bridge the gap.  Use of open source GIS platforms
              may also reduce an organizations exposure to legal and financial liability for Intellectual property  and copyright infringement.

We have been considering providing training to develop GIS Capacity, the training providers contacted so far,
              utilize well known proprietary software as the training platform. The responsibility of ensuring that the software
              used during the training rests with the client and not the training institution.  When some one has been trained on
               a particular platform, it is difficult for the person to wove over to another platform on which they have not been trained.
              Therefore I believe that our GIS training should be done on an open source platform from the onset.

I would like to explore the capabilities of the Quantum GIS package and its suitability to the tasks performed by our GIS Users.
              Also there is a guide called "A Gentle Introduction to GIS" (which I have attached to this email for easy reference)
              which introduces users to GIS using Quantum GIS.  I believe it may serve as a guide to some one executing a GIS training program.

To sum up, my questions are:

1. Shouldn't we train persons on the open source GIS platforms?
              2. Can Quantum GIS meet our needs?
              3. Can we have our local qualified GIS personnel use the guide "A Gentle Introduction to GIS" to train persons in GIS and on the QGIS package?

C4D Explorer

Hi Guys & Gals

Like Marcathian, i too believe that we should agree to use a particular platform be it open source (preferably) or not.

I would like to know what is the status of the training of trainers? if it is that we aimed to complete that this year.

As we move into 2012, lets try not to put this on the backburner, we all are aware of the importance and relevance of collecting correcting and sharing of spatial data, we need to focus on the identified activities so as to not become what we fear the most.

JLyons