20 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 10:17 AM by spolders RSS

Innovative and cost-effective micro-grid distrubution system?

C4D Enthusiast

We are looking for an innovative and cost-effective solution to lower the CAPEX of the distribution part of a microgrid in a village in East Africa. It will be a hybrid PV / diesel system.

We want to use an AC coupled system, but what kind of cables, transformers, prepaid electric meters, poles for the power line, etc. is recommended to use? For example using bamboo instead of treated wood for the poles? Anny suggestions, reports or comments are most welcome.

• Re: Innovative and cost-effective micro-grid distrubution system?
          C4D Explorer

Hi Lena,

We (www.persistentenergypartners.com) are implementing low CAPEX micro-grids through our partner companies. While these are not hybrid systems, this might still be attractive to you, depending on the circumstances? Can you provide a little more insight into:

- You said you are looking to lower the distribution part of your grid? Do you have the generation capacity already installed?

- Expected load profile and rationale for Hybrid/PV?

- Operational / business model for the grid - how much revenue do you expect per user on average and what do you define as low Capex.

If you are interested to have a chat, please e-mail me on dirk.muench@persistentenergypartners.com

C4D Explorer

Lena, Dirk,

I would be very interested in your findings on that matter, if you are willing to share them.

I am trying to implement a similar project in West Africa (hybrid PV-Diesel). The cost I have for the distribution network is around $10k/km but data is very hard to find...

Tristan Kochoyan

Power:On

tristan.kochoyan@pwr-on.fr

C4D Enthusiast

From a village perspective our basic model is one that allows choice of one or more renewable and load-tracking sources to meet their energy needs. These sources could be shipped to the village and “plugged in” where they are needed much like an appliance. As the demand for more energy grows, new sources are added as needed. The basic objective is the creation of a low cost and robust isolated power system that is easy to maintain and expand. The simplest system contains photovoltaic, (PV), small diesel generators and perhaps storage with microgrid capabilities.

Such a system needs to optimize the PV energy with the diesel/storage sources filling in the energy gaps resulting from the intermittent output of PV. There needs to be maximum flexibility in the choice of energy resources depending on the needs of the electrical loads and their location. Technically we aim for scalability, modularity, and maintainability. This implies a bottom up or incremental approach with the ability to add more sources and loads at low cost.

There is a very successful example in Tecogen’s Inverde-100[1]. This is a 100kW combined heat and power source with CERTS microgrid capability. The prime mover is based on an automobile V- 8 block converted to run on natural gas with a power electronic interface to improve efficiency when operating at partial loading. In the north east of the US the payback period for this system is less than 5 years. For the village model this system is still too large in capacity, does not use diesel, and has a complex power electronic interface. Without the power electronic interface it should be possible further lower the cost of generation. For the smaller power levels of, say 10kW and 40kW, an equivalent plug-and-paly generation source does not currently exist for use in village microgrids and needs to be developed. This should reduce the component cost allowng us to provide power to smaller villages.

[1] “The CERTS microgrid control technology is the most radical of all options-as well as the lowest cost-as it is embedded into a 100-kW CHP system offered by Tecogen”. (Peter Asmus - Pike Research, Distributed Generation, 2011)

gunjanpatel C4D Enthusiast

Dear Robert Lasseter,

I thank you for posting about the energy solutions for West Africa.

Indeed the technology exists to solve the energy problem for west african region. These villages can become energy surplus with our systems which are perfectly suitable for off grid power supply for 24 / 7. We provide the technology that is green, clean and sustainable.

Our systems are ideal to generate 10 KWe to 2 MWe levels of power plants and thermal process plants.

If you are interested in our technology please feel free to contact me at gunjan.patel@ankurscientific.com

Regards,

Gunjan Patel

C4D Connoisseur

"For the smaller power levels of, say 10kW and 40kW, an equivalent plug-and-play generation source does not currently exist for use in village microgrids and needs to be developed. This should reduce the component cost allowng us to provide power to smaller villages."

This appears to be a serious missing piece. Would a venture fund invest in developing a solution for this? I would like to try.

Two issues: 

One, inter-connectivity among the microgrids, similar to extending cellular hexagons, for frequency reuse in cellular systems.

Two, the network management of the individual cell,  and inter-cell optimization. Has anyone done this? This is not like a distributed generation source connecting to the grid, rather, this is inter-microgrid connectivity and optimization.

The common perception is that microgrids are for emerging economies, and small, village level systems. In fact, microgrids can be the building blocks of competitive electricity solutions even in urban areas. I would appreciate anyone commenting on this.  Thus a scalable microgrid can be a competitive local electric company.  I wrote in Renewable Energy World, Jan 2014, How Many Electric Utilities Does A Market Need? I would appreciate any feedback.

Hello Mr. Mahesh,

thanks for posting on this forum. I really appreciate your views on off grid distributed power generations. Your article definitely raises concern and awareness for the off grid electricity technology.

Here i would like to say that yes it is possible. Because this is not the forum for product marketing, hence i would not go far, i would like to say that yes 10 KWe and 40 KWe Plug and play systems do exist. I have already described the technology developed in biomass industries. However, this all depends upon the feedstock / biomass availabilities.

I would appreciate your views on this.

gunjan.patel@ankurscientific.com

C4D Enthusiast

Tristan,

I agree that data is difficult to find. Maybe we can discuss our findings. L.Drabig@gmx.de

Hello Lena,

we are one of the global leader in the field of Biomass to Energy Solutions. We manufacture state of art Biomass Gasifier System for Power Generation and Thermal / Process Heat Application. We are into this field only , since more than 25 years and have supplied systems in more than 40 countries across the globe.

Could you please give me information about Rural Electrification Projects in Africa and Other parts ?

I will give you our company's introduction if needed.

Thanks & Regards,

Gunjan Patel

Email : gunjan.patel@ankurscientific.com

C4D Enthusiast

One of the issues is how we think of isolated power systems or microgrids. For example if we took the Tecogen 100kW source with another 100 kW  PV we have a system that could supply power to  maybe 50 homes over a large area requiring distribution lines.  If instead we started with 10kW units the cost/or need for distribution lines and transformers could be greatly decreased. The problem with this model is scalability. If the 10kW sources had the plug-and-play function used by Tecogen we could add units as load grows without additional complexity. Said another way this allows starting at a lower system cost which can grow incrementally.

C4D Explorer

I fully agree with Robert.

I might also add that for small, rural electrification projects, the energy requirement from the customers does not necessarily implies a distribution grid. At least during the first years.

What off-grid households would need right away is lighting, mobile phone charging services, and maybe a couple more basic energy services. Portable batteries or solar kits are well suited for that type of applications, and would be acceptable instead of grid electricity until people buy bigger equipment, such as refrigerators, TVs, etc.

For productive uses, the platform model is also interesting because it centralizes the equipment that needs electricity in one place, close to the generation system. It reduces the need for a distribution grid, because the productive tools are all located in a shared workshop, instead of being dispersed in multiple workshops.

C4D Enthusiast

That is true. What kind of microgrid is used, depends completely of the type of village and location. We decided to bring power to the houses and small businesses (like bars and shops) located not far from each other as a first step, but the near by telecom tower will be connected as well.

It is probably better to start at a small scale and to extend the distribution later. But for your example with 10kW in the beginning would mean, that you only use a small part of the power the PV system could supply. So you pay for the larger PV system and get less money back from the customers. If you want to add units later, then you have to build a larger distribution line later. That would only shift the expenses to a later time. Do I see this correct?

C4D Explorer

You are right, except you should start with a 10 kWp system, and add more PV, distribution lines, etc, as the demand grows.

It will shift the expenses over time, but starting small with a solid demand with the possibility to extend the grid when needed may be more appealing to investors.

we have 11 kwe systems available which is ideal to meet the energy requirement for telecom tower and also ideal for off grid power distribution for remote areas. If you would like to have more information please do not hesitate to contact me at gunjan.patel@ankurscientific.com

C4D Explorer

Hi Lena,

I want to add to your discussion from our experience with the first solar mini grid of 100kW with a battery backup. This serves a rural market of 235 consumers for about 14 hours. From the financial point of view, it is critical to have a consumer mix which includes a few larger commercials (hotels, clinics, etc), many small shops and households. Investing on the distribution line reduces with clustered consumers, but focus should be in a good quality grid that reduces maintenance and increases reliability. Too small plant size may ease the initial expense but re-doing later can become more costly. It all depends upon how well you can plan ahead with your current load pattern, and future growth prospects.

Good luck.

C4D Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing your experience Hasna Khan!

I kind of found the same information during further planning. Despite of small households and shops we are gonna serve one telecom tower. The tower needs the same amount of power 24/7. So the whole system is gonna be more expensive. Mainly because the generator has to run at night and the costs for fuel are quite high. The power produced by PV and stored in batteries will be used up during the evening peak, even if we enlarge the PV system to more than 100kW, which would not be feasible any more.

Though we are looking for a way to lower the CAPEX of the distribution system, we want it to be of a good quality. We are planning to connect more users in the village after the system ran successfully.

Dear Lena,

We take pleasure in introducing ourselves as Global Technology leaders dealing in Renewable Energy Technologies for over more than two decades and have created an enviable position in the area of Biomass Gasification & Biogas Systems. We are TUV-certified, ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 company and our Equipments are CE-certified.

Ankur Scientific is in the forefront of research and developmental activities in the area of Non-Conventional Energy Sources. The company was founded by Dr. B.C. Jain, a gold medallist from BITS, Pilani, a Double M.S., PhD and an M.B.A. from M.I.T. (Cambridge), an internationally acclaimed technocrat.

OUR CORPORATE BROCHURE AND INTRO DUCTORY LETTER ARE ENCLOSED HEREWITH FOR YOUR KIND PERUSAL.

Our Biomass Gasifier System will have following features and benefits:-

*     Generate Captive Power at low costs or replace Fossil Fuels in Thermal Applications.

*     Gasifier systems convert the biomass materials into a combustible gas which can either be burnt in an appropriate burner or which can be fed into diesel engines for saving of fuels like FO, LDO, HSD or LPG etc.

*     Can provide wide range of Gasifiers suitable for 10-KWe to 2-Mwe levels of Power generation and equivalently Thermal output of 25,000 kcal/hr to 54,45,000 kcal/hr and for higher ratings can provide multiple systems.

*     The overall electrical efficiency is higher. With the best engines in the world, we could take the overall efficiency upto 30-34%.

*     Easily recover the waste heat from the engines for any application that the client may have like steam, hot water, hot air or even chilling through VAM for any cold storage etc. thereby adding on another revenue stream.

*     Our Biomass Gasifier Systems can save large quantities of diesel oil (HSD), LDO, Furnace Oil or other petroleum products through use of fuels like rice husk, fire wood, cotton stalk, mustard stalk, coconut shells, corncob, groundnut shells, coffee husk, tea/ coffee waste etc.

*     We have till date done more than 900 installations in more than 25 different countries.

*     The water requirement in our system is very less.

*     The systems are cleaner and easy to operate and maintain.

*     The systems are modular and can be quickly set-up.

*     The system also gives 5-7% good quality charcoal (when woody biomass is used as fuel) which can be an added revenue. We could now provide an innovative Gasifier for increased yield of charcoal to upto 35%, if required.

*     In case of thermal application, the maximum flame temperature using our gas can be upto 1100°C if combustion air is not heated.  In case of equipments where flue gas-to-air recuperators are used and combustion air is at relatively high temperatures, the flame temperatures could be higher. 

*     Our systems, not only reduces the energy costs but also offers security against prevailing energy price fluctuations.

*     It provides a secure supply of energy to the client’s sites / applications and helps your business comply with environmental legislation.

*     The Carbon Credit benefits and the sale of CERs (Certified Emission Reductions) will provide additional revenue stream in case of Power generation.

*     We also provide Biogas Systems based on Poultry Litter, Sewage, Municipal Solid Waste, Cattle dung, Kitchen Waste, Organic household waste, Fruit & Vegetable waste etc.  

We are a client focused company having a modern & state of the art Manufacturing, Testing and R&D facilities housed in an eco-friendly environment in Baroda, the industrial city of Gujarat, India. We master the art of developing and manufacturing high precision Biomass Gasification Systems which have also been exported to Germany, Italy, Poland, South Korea, U.S.A, New Zealand, Australia, Sri Lanka, Uganda, Cambodia, Colombia etc., apart from numerous installations within the wide cross section of Indian Industries.

We hope we have been successful in communicating about our business activities and our expertise in adding value to your cost effective needs of Green Energy. In case you need any further information or details, please do let us know.

We hope the above would definitely be of interest to you and further we would like to invite you to visit our facilities in Baroda, where we could show you our different series of Gasifier models and also convince you of our merit and competence in the field.

Looking forward to the pleasure of receiving your kind feedback and in case you wish to have any further information or details, please do let us know.

Thank you and Regards,

Gunjan Patel

Business Development Group

Ankur Scientific Energy Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

"Ankur", Near Navrachna School, Sama,

Baroda - 390 024. Gujarat, India.

Phone: +91-265-2793098

Fax: +91-265-2794042

www.ankurscientific.com <http://www.ankurscientific.com/>

C4D Enthusiast

Hi Lena,

We (www.redaviasolar.com) are specialized in rental solar power solutions for remote communities. We provide cost-effective, convenient and clean rental solar power to reduce the cost of on-site diesel generator power. I think our technology would be a perfect fit for you, because we offer a lasing solution, meaning there is no need for up-front capital investment or long term off-take obligations from your side. Do not hesitate to consult our website and to get in touch with me.

Regards,

Erwin Spolders