1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 11, 2014 5:26 PM by 665682 RSS

Please join us to brainstorm approaches: how to promote clean cooking stoves in rural area?

cathytao89 C4D Extraordinaire

One of our community member, Javid, raised a very interesting question that I hope you could express your opinions, in his own words -

"I am working with ministry of rural rehabilitation and development and more focus is on rural area. 75% of our population are living in rural area. Based on researches we have 54,000 death per year due to tradition type of kitchen in rural area. Normally the people in rural are using solid fuel, coal for cooking which are not improved. In our new program we have put more focus on improved cooking stoves and I exactly want to know how is the solution in other countries. the cost of gas is around 2$ in rural area while fossil fuel is almost the same cost. Coal in some part of the country is the best option but still has pollution."

Do you have the same issue in your own country/region? What are your solutions and practices for promoting clean cooking stoves in rural area with cheap fossil fuels? Please share, would love to hear from YOU.

• Re: Please join us to brainstorm approaches: how to promote clean cooking stoves in rural area?
          665682 C4D Master

Hi Javid,

The question/challenge you raise is our clean stoves programs are working on. Before answering the questions, I think first it is important to know what are demand and supply situations in the area you are working on? You mentioned cost of gas is almost the same as cost of fossil fuel? Do you mean unit cost or monthly expenditure? If there is no additional cost, why households would not convert to gas solution which is clearly more convenient and clean. Then is it a supply issue? We also focus on rural areas that household continue rely on solid fuel (biomass or coal) for cooking. The reasons are that in many rural areas, biomass is easily available at no cost or little cost. So even though they may have access to LPG, they still rely on biomass as primary cooking fuel. This is the case in Indonesia which has successfully implemented a large scale LPG program. Even though LPG is subsidized, 40% of people still reply on biomass as primary cooking. They often have a LPG stove at home but use LPG as a supplementary cooking fuel.

I would like to invite you to look CSI phase I report in China, Indonesia, and Lao PDR which are available on the platform. As the first step, we did demand, supply, and institutional mapping, then develop intervention strategies accordingly.