3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2014 1:54 PM by chris macrae RSS

Social Business: Odyssey of the Third Millennium

C4D Enthusiast
    Visibility: Open to anyone

A Change of Paradigm or Just another Philanthropy Cause

The vision of many people is that many global problems we face can be solved through the creation of Social Business. This is a form of business that is mainly driven by a cause, rather than by traditional business school objectives such as profit maximization with minimal investment and cost reduction. The social business concept goes far beyond accomplishing personal or investor goals. It is focused on the human being and seeks to achieve one or more social objectives through a company. In this new form of a company doing things well, all costs are covered so that investors or owners recover their investment, albeit through a reduced dividend distribution policy that places the social cause first, thus bringing a new perspective to what is morally ethical. This new concept of social business allows obtaining benefits, but under the condition that benefits are maintained in the company and reinvested; investors and shareholders receive a fair retribution equal for their investment and always will make some profits. Thus, social business brings a new dimension to the business world and a new sense of social awareness among the community. If social objectives can be achieved more efficiently and effectively by adopting a social business format that is sustainable, then, why not take this venue? Why give up the notion of profit, if it has established itself in mankind as a key performance indicator? To abandon the idea is quite illogical and contravenes the essence of the human beings. To do so would cause great surprise. To be totally clear: social business does not ask people to give up a retribution for their effort. The idea of "giving something up" were usually a cause of a tremendous shock in any human. This paradigm for social enterprise does not ask anyone to "give anything up." Rather, it proposes that if you are concerned about a social problem, you can make a significant contribution, perhaps even through your current activities, to solve a problem that involves all of us. Perhaps this could even open a door that leads to solving a world problem. It is up to you, to reinvest the company's money in itself and make it grow which will benefits everyone within, from the janitor to the owner; its customers; the community as a whole, the region, the country and perhaps even the planet. With this practice, you will be making a contribution towards humanizing the economy, a purpose that has long been lost due to the greed of people in all sectors due to their lack of business ethics education, and lack of solidarity to the disadvantage in the economic system.

Bernardo Javalquinto, Economist

PS: When Social Solidarity Economics is the issue everybody understands, maybe be might choosing the wrong path.

• Re: Social Business: Odyssey of the Third Millennium
          nirmalan C4D Extraordinaire

Would you like to explain how one gets about setting up a social business? Is it different to a not for profit company?

Dear Nirmalan,

Social Business is everywhere anything you know how to do, any skill you have, you can start a social business all you need to understand is that you must reinvest profits into your company. If you reinvest all the money it becomes a non-profit if you take home the money home and do not reinvest then it is not a non-profit org./co.

Regards,

Bernardo

www.ensglobal.org

C4D Connoisseur

I know 2 of the people who talk a lot about social business - muhammad yunus  (fan club) and bernardo

I would love to see a mooc at world bank's open learning campus (better still a khan academy) of their work  however in spite of helping dr yunus launch journal of social business with adam smith scholars out of Glasgow University from 2008, at my last visit to dhaka 2013 he appeared to say that he did not wish to contribute to any such curriculum unless he owned it and his agents could fundraise from it.

click pic below to download first issue free mailed to 3000 leaders chosen by dr yunus

Ever since the wondrous Rome-Sponsored, Warsaw-located Nobel Peace Summit Oct 2013, I had been looking forward to a Cape Town 2014 peace summit that launched how peace generates strong economies not vice versa - with Cape Town cancelled over visa row on Dalai Lama, all roads from Rome converge in Atlanta Nov 2015 COLLABORATION.WORLDBANK.ORG In addition to youth summits what Collab proceses empower millennials?. Examplesinclude #2030now tedx, blending continent-wide leadership summits with youth entrepreneur competitions (yabt.net - maericas), celebrating mobile leapfrog models that are order of magnitude more intergenerationanly economic, reporting results on 5 billion beings elearning satellite yazmi.com... 2030 future netgen wants to co-produce...

Sadly life changed for dr yunus when the bank was taken away from him by Sheikh Hasina's presidency -up until then he believed that as well as the world's most famous bank for the poor he had partnerships that could become the world's favorite investment bank in millennials and the race to poverty museums

So absent of a change of heart (possible atlanta nov 2015 depending on what families like Ted Turner's Luther King's, Jimmy Carter's decide), my family like an idea that friends of bernardo are taking to universities around the world- there needs to be a bank of case studies that are in every way opposite to businesses ruled by how much money is extracted every quarter- what we are doing is approaching universities with religious or social origins to see if they would like to join in open sourcing the opposite banks of business cases that sustain future goodwill -specifically they need to have a positive cashflow model but that doesnt mean that every business needs to be ruled by dictating the surplus should be extracted quarterly only for short-term speculators

Something that's supercool about Bernardo's home university network being out of Chile is that Chile's President (formerly the first leader of UN for women) has passed legislation making it in most cases illegal for universities to profiteer.

43 years ago my father launched entrepreneurial revolution out of The Economist around a stunning challenge- his first 25 years of work at The Economist provided huge amounts of data to show that the west no longer had models for sustaining social value in sectors where this was most needed (eg health)

ways that milllennials would need. So social business models are one branch of ER's hunt- as partially are social entrepreneur models a term drayton/ashoka coined after reading my father's work- as potentially are intrapreneurial models which my father worked with J Gifford Pinchot at TarryTown to develop

I would also like to help people develop a khan academy style space of what the word entrepreneur means. My father selected it intentionally to represent the keynsian value of economics (number 1 role = ending poverty - see last 3 pages of genera theory). As you may guess entrepreneur is a french word first used around 1800. It stood for the segment of system designs that sought to transform economics to be about the jobs and wellbeing of all livelihoods not the 1% - in france;s case represented by the kings who were guillotined. Needless to say a reason my father started debating entrepreneurial revolution as early as 1972 when he first saw students experimenting with elearning networks was that he hoped that millennials entrepreneurial revolutions would be less bloodthirsty than late 1700s France

Being a maths guy, I also like the freedom to discuss all models that impact trillion dollar markets -trilliondollaraudit.com - for example I would recommend to the next facebooker to adopt a 51% social business model

51% in trust for millennials of #2030now

49% shareholders

no dividend

basically this model means that both ownership (millenials, shareholders) would have to give up one doubling of value but wouldnt that be quickly retirned if the brand lived up to being number 1 space for millennials social movements of #2030