6 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2017 1:27 AM by shoaibazizi RSS

Non-grant development financing for health

karenhoehn C4D Enthusiast
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Dear colleagues,

Know anyone engaged in non-grant development financing for health and/or people working in developing countries who have witnessed or been directly involved in the implementation of health programs funded through nongrant development financing instruments?

Examples of the types of instruments include: equity, credit guarantees, non-ODA grants, loans, risk pooling / re-insurance and other financing instruments being used by donor governments to "leverage" increased private capital through "public-private partnerships" and "blended financing", which usually (but not always) means for-profit capitalized companies, or nonprofit cost-sharing.

I'm interested to see if there is a prospective or actual community of professionals who would like to share research and experiences on this topic.

Karen

• Re: Non-grant development financing for health
          isabellawm C4D Connoisseur

Do you have some examples in mind?

The recent winner of the world bank athgo incubator was a team developing Gusto Gum- a fortified gum aimed at alleviating anemia amongst poorest communities. The trouble with most youth enetrepreneur and incubator competitins seems to ba alck of aftern mentoring and patient capital- so while I have every expectation this team will sustain itself the parallel learnings that you would hipe a collaboiration community of youth would linkin seem to have no frowrd going log

My understanding of world bank focus since 2012 is that preferential option poor models usually do not start from top-down grants, and that the two most scaled POP models in health are partners in health and www.brac.net - i would welcome being corrected if this is not what to learn from the world bank on this issue

I assume that ghd online associated with www.pih.org and in particular its young professional subnewtorkYP-CDN - Young Professionals Chronic Disease Network  is best placed to answer under 35 collective answers to your question.

here are the ghd online communities that i try to keep track of- if anyone joins any of these and wants to share an update of knowledge on a particular topic generated by the community to date we are happy to try and help isabella@unacknowledgedgiant.com or  chris.macrae@yahoo.co.uk volunteer open learning health curricula at elearning satellite www.yazmi.com

karenhoehn C4D Enthusiast

Thank you very much, Isabelle. This is very helpful.

What I've found so far, during the very early stage of this research, is that governments, companies and financing institutions are fulfilling their institutional incentive to showcase what is working well and not to be very clear about what does not work well.  This is understandable, but it's not helpful for finding out what needs to improve or what are the genuine positive and negative impacts (which is important for non-profits to engage effectively rather than with a surface-level understanding). It leaves nonprofits with little evidence and with a sneaking suspicion that the public and governments are being sold a bill of goods rather a meaningful improvement over nonprofit intervention (which is not perfect but at least doesn't line the pockets of wealthy, capitalized interests in the name of poverty reduction).

I'm looking for people to interview who have direct experience with the implementation of health programs that relied on use of the following: equity, credit guarantees, non-ODA grants, loans, risk pooling / re-insurance and other financing instruments being used by donor governments to "leverage" increased private capital through "public-private partnerships" and "blended financing".

In the meantime, I will follow-up on your suggestions.

Best regards,

Karen

isabellawm C4D Connoisseur

The World Bank has a team working on futures of China's health system. 'I would assume they might be looking for worldwide best cases of the sort you are talking about for china to benchmark.

What would really boost confidence of millennials and global empowerment friends that i do research with  (eg in nations such as dubai where a top 3 philanthropist is devoting his wealth to university of 15000 disadvantaged youth) is if the world bank would open up an on-demand coursera on future of health service. The open society dynamic of the on-demand format is like khan academy you can build innovation recursively as you go. So for example you could have a "week" focused on the type of instruments you are looking about - explain the instruments in terms of what would be the sort of use that sustainability millennials should be demanding; and then ask everyone including young professionals of health for cases in a sort of benchmarking mode where you expect each year to radically improve best in class examples

Incidentally there are some extraordinary future now opportunities that friends would like to linkin

1 United Nations Academic Impact is linking nanotechnology global partnership with applications to poorest with www.amma.org out of Kerala India - Nanotech takes a  deeper look at what switched a body's immune system on and off; whats interesting is if solutions for the poorest leapfrog solutions for the richest in this medical field; pretty well every top rank womens empowerment network is racing to unite round this goal- and this will be a main agenda of first ladies technology friends during opening week of UN's first year of valuing sustainability goals at end of this month

2 Working with Cuba so that its various economical innovations are celebrated with health services for the poorest is a great opportunity if we can demand this as peoples keeping partisan politics on Cubas history out of partnering in health

I am pretty sure that country research leaders at world bank who believe health's future is critical to sustainability millennials futures could spot other parallel openings and i wish the world bank would use its open learning campus to search out these extreme innovations not to partner in old academic centres that have so often been hired not t radically review health's value chains

Dear all, thanks for your response to my inquiry about non-grant financing. The final publication drew on the original research based on self-reported European donor information. The report was not released with a weblink, but there was a webinar that you can access by web. If interested, click here: https://www.rhsupplies.org/activities-resources/webinars/video/cso-engagement-in-the-gff-and-donor-rh-financing-through-…