30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2018 5:21 PM by wbg-jrg RSS

In your view, what is the most pressing challenge today in cooking and heating? Why?

1471785 C4D Expert

We'd love to hear from you! Is it:

1. Lack of ownership/leadership from client country
      2. Lack of internal support at my organization
      3. Lack of resources in general towards this issue
      4. Lack of knowledge/business models 
      5. All of them
      6. Something else
        • Re: In your view, what is the most pressing challenge today in cooking and heating? Why?
          665682 C4D Master

All of them. This is a really challenging sector but we will work on it. :)

• Re: In your view, what is the most pressing challenge today in cooking and heating? Why?
            talyanvikash C4D Explorer

C. Lack of resources in general towards this issue

D. Lack of knowledge/business models

dcharron@berkeleyair.com C4D Enthusiast

C is the most pressing, but all are factors to various extents in various places.  There is also lack of ownership of the problem and solutions by consumers.

jgeertsma C4D Explorer

C and D - lack of resources and lack of viable business models

s.abdulkadir C4D Explorer

C: Lack of resources

D: Lack of knowledge/business models

F: How to coordinate and scale up ongoing projects

741867 C4D Enthusiast

E.  All of above in varying degress....plus others

sancav C4D Explorer

All of them - but especially C & D. I would also add that lack of infrastructure and need to improve policy framework are also key challenges.

idachaba C4D Explorer

For me I'd pick D and F.

For F, its a combination of High switching cost and high out of pocket cost. The alternative to clean cooking is way cheaper making the switching cost higher and any potential consumer who is considering the immediate economics, would not make that decision to switch.

Also applies to out of pocket cost, other alternatives can be gotten in smaller quantity, making it a more attractive alternative for energy consumers

ruchisoni1 C4D Explorer

I'd pick option E as well, but emphasize on lack of leadership and resources.

lsv@sempertegui.com C4D Explorer

D, in the sense that there is lack of knowledge of the options that could be applied in different scenarios, and the "one-size-fits-all" approach is being used extensively.

aditiad1 C4D Expert

F. Something Else : As Biogas can be cheaper longterm fuel mix to the cooking solution. During non sunny days BG can support the day's energy requirement. In Addition exploring Solar cookers as alternative supported by traditional cooking techniques particularly where sunny days are more than 300 days a year.

crispin C4D Expert

I support the "All of them" option with the addition of another factor: the existence in the popular discourse of many things which are not true, or only partially true. Thus when we come to address some of the challenges we find that we have to displace misunderstandings before we can take the even the first simple step.

wbg-jrg C4D Master

Re: In your view, what is the most pressing challenge today in cooking and heating? Why?

a, Lack of ownership/leadership from client country

b. Lack of internal support at my organization

c, Lack of resources in general towards this issue

d. Lack of knowledge/business models

e, All of them

Something else

There are many answers to each answer.

If it is a primitive or family-based system answer "b & c" applies.

If it is a traditional commercial system answers "a, b & d applies.

Points of view for each answer

a, If it is an established system & production, it may need innovation which attracts people if it is a primitive system of heating or cooking.

b. An established system of production needs change & leadership when it comes to costs material, safety, type of appliances & if there is sufficient demand for

a product to develop a supply system.

c. Is more liking to the subject which is cooking & heating, The lack of resources may become an issue in production, incentive & development, and the overall comfort.

d. This is the least likely to apply if it is not a business application system used, a very raw or primitive non-commercial system for heating & cooking used.

e. Not all of them apply since they deserve to be given as different systems which confer opportunities and expectations.

Something else.

In our modern world, as we stand & move, everything has to run at the same pace or in some way the differences within each situation will affect the outcome.

In very nomadic areas where cooking & heating is only active from the use of kindling & fire lighting process using wood, carbon or any other type of burning material. Ths circumstance invites people to help each other during the process.  The process of cooking & heating is a very simple and inexpensive and rather uncontrolled.

Taking advantage of resiliency and sustainability, we can forbear a primitive system that may provide the use of unconventional cooking & heating system with a primitive solar energy system that may produce heating and even lighting, creating a supply for a critical unestablished demand.

But there are many other factors which cannot be addressed due to lack of incentives if it is a primitive environment, such as consensus, preferences & accustomed/traditional methods. The one enemy of tradition is "change".

1471785 C4D Expert

Thank you, Jorge for your thoughtful contributions! Indeed, in most situations where people are using traditional methods of cooking & heating with biomass, there are significant financial, educational, behavioral and practical barriers which prevent them from using clean and efficient stoves. You are right that the enemy of tradition is change, but in order to overcome this, we must tailor any interventions and technology to the users in order to meet the demand and see high adoption rates.

Jorge Llanos Pedraja, have you worked in this issue in Peru? If so, I would be interested to hear some of your experience/lessons learned so far. I also welcome others to comment here. Yabei Zhang Besnik Hyseni

wbg-jrg C4D Master

Thank you for your comment.

I believe that the basis for developing & promoting change is using the same tools as an ingredient of innovation but must be kept at a very low cost to whom we direct the market if we expect it to get results. We have to have in mind they cannot afford to pay a tribute that demands cost just to make business. To the low-income dweller, we cannot force him/her something they will not understand, economically until they may be able to afford it (they may not even buy new but used).

People are attracted to new things when they find their old things becoming useless & uncomfortable. There is nothing more attractive to give people something new at the same cost their old utensil cost with their almost equal characteristics (better handles grab, etc.)

I have seen producers of stainless steel products selling very fine stainless steel cooking ware at a rather low cost that is competitive to any high tech standard product. I went to a store to compare & there was nothing to say. Now the same manufacturers are making high standard stainless steel high tech cooking ware that sells for exportation. It does not rust or stain which happens to some foreign imports I have seen.

Here is the limit.

Self-employed low-income buyers are more akin to use innovation.

Example: Galaxy 5, then Galaxy 6 and so on (in high tech world & buyers who can buy at a higher price). There is always a slight change without leaving the basics for a pattern of user behavior. When a dramatic change is brought into a product people are relentless to outright acceptance.

Wouldn´t you?

Jorge Llanos

xavier C4D Enthusiast

Hello all,

First of all, I am happy to join the C4D community! It is my first post.

I’d say F. : what is needed is a killer product. We need the Iphone of stoves. We need a product, that, in its target market(s), makes a clear unanimity. We need a game changer.

For that, we need to solve the challenge of combining cheap price + usability + performance.

For that, we need R&D, just like the R&D that was necessary to develop the Iphone.

For that, we need testing that relies on scientifically valid, reviewed, and approved methods.

So I would say, we need to start from the start. We need to have solid foundations, failing which, we won’t be able to develop the exceptional cookstoves that users want and need.

1471785 C4D Expert

Thank you, Xavier! We are happy to have you. Welcome!

Regarding your comment, certainly, over the past few years, technology has progressed in the ECCH sub-sector, particularly with the development of clean-burning biomass stoves. In your opinion, have any of the more recent solutions you've seen had the potential to scale?

Furthermore, would you agree business models play a large role? With the iPhone, the technology was unaffordable for most consumers within the first years until carriers begun offering plans where people were able to pay through payment plans, etc.

xavier C4D Enthusiast

Dear Sarah,

Thank you!

I am not sure which technology would have the potential to scale. I’d say even without talking of the price, I am not sure there is a stove model that really combines both excellent usability and excellent performance in terms of savings and emissions.

I would say business models play a role, but it is still a limited one.

The smartphones were, still are, extremely aspirational products. They are easy to use, easy to learn, I don’t think there is any barrier to usability. The users don’t have to make phone calls differently. They can do many more things than they use to, they have a vast array of possibilities. And everything is made very simple.

The improved cooking stoves introduce new constraints to cooking. They have to be used in a certain way, the cooks have to learn how to use them. The product should be at the service of the customer, not the other way round. The 3-stone fire and the mud stove do exactly what the cook asks them to do.

So does a smartphone. There’s no trade-off with a smartphone.

So I think this is not only a problem of price. Even with payment facilities, even with a free improved stove, customers can be reluctant to leave their mud stove. And sometimes the improve stove is found in a kitchen corner, it is used as a stool.

I think the stove sector has known failures because we persisted selling stoves people didn’t really want.

I don’t know if it is relevant to compare smartphones to stoves, but we can see that smartphone companies have invested a lot in R&D. Huge amounts were spent before developing the first smartphone. It is a high tech industry, but so are the stoves! Combustion is incredibly complex, it is harder than rocket science, says Tom Butcher of the Brookhaven National Lab.

According to Business Insider, between 2004 and the beginning of 2015, Apple spent about 40 billion USD in total in R&D:

http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/apple-rd-expenditure-increase-2015-5/

Of course, Apple is a global giant, they have smartphones, computers and other products, and their markets yield extremely high revenues.

But, compare that to the improved cookstoves sector as a whole. How much money was spent in total on R&D? A few millions maybe? A few grants, hundreds of thousands, here and there?

In my opinion, there is a critical mass of investment and R&D needed so a cooking stove as aspirational as a gas stove can be developed.

wbg-jrg C4D Master

I would. definitely, say C. because there are not enough resources due to limited technology

or even material substitutes to provide an affordable system that mayor

increase vulnerability to accept a change.

El 30/1/2018 17:54, "Xavier Brandao" <

worldbank-admin@worldbank.hosted.jivesoftware.com> escribió:

Collaboration for Development

<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/?et=watches.email.thread>

In your view, what is the most pressing challenge today in cooking and

heating? Why?

reply from Xavier Brandao

<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/people/xavier?et=watches.email.thread>

in Efficient, Clean Cooking and Heating Program (ECCH) - View the full

discussion

<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/message/16363?et=watches.email.thread#16363>

wbg-jrg C4D Master

If you compare smartphones or cellulars which have an astounding acceptance

at all economical levels with clean cooking, there is an averted inclination that

spending con a smartphone would be the predominant choice.  An obvious

decision due to the "need" to stay communicated and safe.

El 31/1/2018 13:18, "J. Llanos" <llanospje@gmail.com> escribió:

I would. say, C. there is not enough resources due to limited technology

or even material substitutes to provide an affordable system that may

increase vulnerability to accept a change and acceptance.

El 30/1/2018 17:54, "Xavier Brandao" <worldbank-admin@worldbank.

hosted.jivesoftware.com> escribió:

Collaboration for Development

<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/?et=watches.email.thread>

In your view, what is the most pressing challenge today in cooking and

heating? Why?

reply from Xavier Brandao

<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/people/xavier?et=watches.email.thread>

in Efficient, Clean Cooking and Heating Program (ECCH) - View the full

discussion

<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/message/16363?et=watches.email.thread#16363>

xavier C4D Enthusiast

What I find particularly interesting is to compare the technological challenge of smartphones with the technological challenge of cookstoves.

Then the amounts allocated to R&D in the smartphone industry to the ones in the cookstove industry.

R&D is happening at a lot of stages with a smartphone. Not only the smartphone industry is investing in R&D, but also the industries behind each of the components. We are talking about tremendous progress in R&D in these technologies:

• The display (LED, AMOLED …)
                                                          • Batteries
                                                          • CPU and chipsets
                                                          • Memory and storage
                                                          • All the other hardware

Huge players, notably in China and the U.S.

All the players in this industry have understood the importance of R&D. Other industries could say the same.

But I don’t think this need has been understood by the cookstove industry.

I am not saying billions of investment are necessary. Maybe more in the order of dozens of millions.

wbg-jrg C4D Master

Hi Xavier:

One of the "paradigms" of smartphones has to do with entertainment, such as Star Wars movies where communications systems are shown in the movies even youngsters use in these films.

Don´t you think that these factors that are displayed all over the place in almost all nations will have an impact on personal wears, habits & communications systems?

In my opinion, it is a yes. It is entering a magical world in your hands without R&D. Just embracing a magical world which can be a potential means or element for imitation in the ordinary situations, therefore at the same time producing an effect in sales.

How can we girls at an early age to like cooking ware without being diverted to smartphones become one of the biggest riddles in our modern civilization? The answer is very simple, and it is found at the beginning of my participation on this subject...

"People are attracted to new things when they find their old things becoming useless & uncomfortable",

..and we can add, today women are less inclined to cook than 70 years ago because there are other tasks that need to be included in a house due to the poverty levels through the eyes of our present environment which in part has to do with television.

Let us go back 100 years ago. Poverty was the least in terms of a number because the marginal population was still farming not even close to cities. There were very small urban areas, just about 25 to 30% back 100 years. If we compare with today´s world where almost 65% of the population is living in cities then we can ask where are those people of rural areas who lived from farming and had everything, even if illiterate? The result of modern civilization trends towards fast urbanization and now with an enormous increase in population, the reduction of farming areas and rural communities is giving creating these places to become isolated spaces without a means for survival due to industry and climate threat. People, in general, have an appreciation for the outdoor living becoming the first to keep green areas where they can adjust themselves to camping and cooking. 

So then, cities tend to increase poverty.in all places not just in underdeveloped countries.

Are smartphones an adaptation of people for their loss in their attachment to people and nature? People are beginning to lose this attachment due to the diminishing of green spaces and the tangling city noise.

Few are those countries even having high technology and industry are able to keep a balance without damaging nature.

xavier C4D Enthusiast

Hi Jorge,

Indeed, the success of smartphones has to do with the fact they are highly valued items of entertainment. All kinds of entertainment. The smartphones are also formidable electronic swiss army knife, with all their apps. They replace many electronic items. They make our daily life so much easier and more comfortable.

To come back to my previous idea, what makes me ponder is that, despite the incredible appeal of the smartphones, the main players in that industry find R&D of primary importance. Well, they need to keep up with the competition, they need customers to change their phone every year, but not only. They know great R&D goes hand-in-hand with great product, and with customer adoption. They know it is a prerequirement.

They spend billions and billions on R&D, to perfect and improve items that people already want.

Customers are reluctant to buy improved cookstoves, and we as a sector are reluctant to invest on R&D to change this state of affair.

I think you are on to something. It is always the same problem: people are ok to spend billions of hours and billions of dollars in entertainment, but are reluctant to invest their own time or money to change the world or on world-changing items.

So yes, maybe we face an increased challenge nowadays. Young cooks don’t want to tend a fire anymore, they probably prefer to tend their smartphones. There are many more distractions than before.

So maybe we'd need R&D to develop an efficient wood cookstove that doesn’t require any tending at all.

wbg-jrg C4D Master

R&D is active when it has to do with innovation and means of presenting gadgets that improve peoples likes at a level of cultural & economical attainment. When the factor of necessity goes into the spectre of limits of the economy level, first comes necessary items and then "useful items". People cannot sacrifice something they need at a certain cost in comparison to acquiring a personal necessity (necessity is something that is required to personal tasks, like cooking, dressing, etc.) These are part of the basic functions of life. They are not "useful items" to chose from.

Economic levels have a standard of selection according to pricing. If products can be handled as some are (for ex. door-knobs come at 10 or 15 different prices starting around $12/unit to $300 or $400/unit): If this example would be applied to cooking units through R&D, I am very sure there would be a capable niche in the local area.

This, in fact, has to do with levels of income & if fabrications have to be developed in the country that is going to sell/buy them the results would be effective because people would see pricing levels at a more familiar level. This would be the realistic way of doing business.