Welcome to the site of the international Community of Practice on Cooperative Financial Institutions! This site is hosted by the World Bank. It aims to foster the exchange of concrete experiences and research among CFI professionals on suitable approaches to:
· Improve the regulation and supervision of Cooperative Financial Institutions (CFIs) to ensure their sound operation and growth;
· Support CFI networks and individual CFIs in their quest to diversify their services, achieve scale, and increase their efficiency;
· Contribute to a better governance and performance of individual CFIs, as well as their federations and networks;
· Establish financial safety nets (deposit insurance, liquidity funds, etc.) that can help prevent failures and, if necessary, deal with failing CFIs;
· Support efforts to integrate CFIs into country's financial infrastructure (payment systems, credit registries etc.); and
· Leverage new technologies to enhance the performance of CFIs, to strengthen internal controls and to facilitate their oversight by competent authorities.
The site provides a repository of relevant documents as well as a platform that aims to foster the collaboration and discussion among CFI professionals through blogs and other means.
The Dutch Government and Rabobank Foundation
The Dutch Government and Rabo Foundation recently launched a three-year project to support the work carried out by the World Bank
to foster the sound development of Cooperative Financial Institutions (CFIs). The project’s resources will be used by the World Bank to:
- foster the strengthening of CFI regulations and supervision in three countries in which Rabo will assist in parallel the strengthening of relevant and representative CFIs so that they can enhance their performance and services for smallholder farmers, rural MSMEs, and rural households. The project concept aims to contribute to the integration of these CFIs into their country's formal financial system and financial safety net by providing simultaneous support to the efforts of the local authorities and of the participating CFIs. In addition, the resources will be used
- to establish and grow a Center of Excellence on CFI Regulation, Supervision and Promotion, that will comprise the above-mentioned website, this newsletter, a series of webinars and a major annual conference.